Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I Love College



The Agenda:
Well, firstly, and most importantly is something that has been bothering me
(Theodore Geisel eat your heart out :P)
Basically it's like this:
1) Animal Collective exists
and
2) People actually buy them
and finally,
3)Music critics have obviously left the car running with the windows up, garage door down

Now, I have nothing against Animal Collective, oh no. I think it's fine for a group of indie hipster musicians to groove. It's neat-o to show what they think of life, love, and what have you through catchy little songs with titles like 'In the Flowers' or 'My Girls'. I have just one complaint:

I refuse to suck their metaphorical, indie/hipster cock.

I understand the current wave on college campuses (especially mine) is being into hipster bands, plaid shirts, leggings, shoes your grandmother wore,and mod/surf bum hair. These are the kids that are 'hip' enough to say "Hey, I like Lady Gaga and Wyclef Jean" or "Kanye's last album wasn't that bad, but Oracular Spectacular is my go-to mix!". Sure, I'll grant there are a few genuine ones out there, folks who have toiled relentlessly to avoid any corporate taint, who live the hippie philosophy of their parents and dream of the day when they own their very own music label or free trade coffee shop, or any number of other bohemian dreams. However, I find it appalling to see swarms and swarms of people flaunting the 'Williamsburg' look. They buy their American Apparel basics, grab a few hundred dollars in ratty accessories from the local Salvation Army, strap on the ipod, and strut like they're ignoring the world through those huge wayfarers of theirs. 

Am I missing something here?  Is it just me, or does spending gobs of cash to look like you don't have gobs of cash defeat your message? I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs won't lose sleep at night if you rally against 'the man' and yet spend every cent you get downloading music from 'the man' to fuel your hypocrisy.


And another note, ladies, would you please quit having random ass household appliances tattooed on your body? You're not being postmodern, unless it truly has a purpose, you're being a dumbass, and showing everyone who sees that eggbeater on your wrist that you're a total trendwhore.

I'm not totally guiltless when it comes to all this indie hipster fever. I too own a substantial scarf collection, I value my updated mp3 player, and the only way to get me to stop buying sunglasses is to make them illegal. But my point is I know I'm just cashing in on what's cool now, along with things I genuinely like. I also know not to take it seriously, because like any other trend this one will come and go. All those basement parties you went to stuffed in a 60s shift dress, sipping pabst and awkwardly staring at guy who looks like Paul Bunyon in a suit will be a distant memory.


So, where does this leave you? What's your opinion on all this craziness? Love it, Love to hate it, or just hate it? Do you lick the ground Ben Gibbard slouches across? Or do you shoot water out your nose in fury anytime Arcade Fire is uttered anywhere near the words "good" and "band"?

I'm a curious little cat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment